Renaming and Applying Slide Masters: The Right Way to Do it
A slide master allows you to customize the layout across all slides in your PowerPoint presentation. It’s where you can modify font, background images, color, positioning, effects, and more. In existing templates, different types of slides and the layout are stored in the slide master, which can be used as the standard layout when inserting new slides. A slide master is a great way to maintain an overview of larger presentations, especially those that have een modified and changed over the years.
Here we’ll show you how to add a new slide master to a presentation and rename an existing slide master.
Apply New Slide Masters to Your Presentation
- Go to View.
- Click Slide Master. PowerPoint will switch to slide master view and display a slide pane window.
- Click Insert Slide Master.
- The new slide master will appear in the slides pane window and will be numbered 2 if a slide master is already present, 3 if there are two existing slide masters, and so on. You can then edit the new slide master.
Rename a Slide Master
- Go to View.
- In the Master Views group, click Slide Master. PowerPoint will switch to slide master view and display a slide pane window.
- Select the slide master you want to rename.
- Under the Slide Master tab select Rename.
- Enter the new name under Layout name and then click Rename.
- Click Close Master View and select the Home tab. In the Slides group, click Layout. You will see the renamed slide master under the list of designs.