Create your own Timeline Charts
Timelines are a great option for presenting processes in a visually appealing and clear way. For more information on the various uses of timelines, take a look at our article Display Processes as a Timeline.
How to Create Your Own Timelines
- First create a new, empty slide in your PowerPoint project.
- Click Insert > SmartArt.
- Select Process in the pop-up window (you can change the style of your timeline later).
This graphic is preset with a total of three marked milestones and text placeholders. Keep reading to find out how to customize the number of milestones in your timeline and their content.
How to Enter Data and Add Milestones
- Click the small icon on the left side of your timeline.
- Enter your text in the Type your text here.
- To add new milestones, simply press Enter after adding your text. The next milestone will be created automatically.
- You can manually change the distance between each milestone by clicking it and moving it. You can also change the size of the text fields, which will affect the font size.
How to Customize the Style of Your Timeline
- You can customize the design and color oy your timeline by clicking SmartArt Design at the top of the menu bar. Here you’ll find a selection of ready-made styles and matching color palettes.
- If you want to create a personalized timeline, simply right click the milestones and use the color menu that appears.
- To change the shape, click a milestone. On the SmartArt Design tab, select Format > Change Shape. Here you’ll find several design options.
We have compiled a selection of ready-made timeline charts. We’re sure you’ll find the right chart for you!